One of the most beautiful towns in Latvia - Kuldīga. The architecture, the ancient houses, the hills and the valleys of the town, the colours red, ocher, green, gray, and a little bit of pastel. Fall, winter, spring, and summer - the town maintains its charm all throughout the year. Kuldīga has established and maintains a strong link with culture and art.

The true richness of the town is its people. The town is architecturally preserved, there are no plastic windows and doors. Here you can have a good time and a great meal. Sophisticated cultural life, tranquility and the charm of a small town, that is Kuldīga. And there is no other place like Kuldīga. 

 

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN KULDĪGA HISTORY

Year 1242

The first mentioning of Kuldīga in a written form.

Year 1355

The town gets its coat of arms depicting Saint Catherine. The image hasn’t been altered since.

Year 1368

The first mentioning of Kuldīga as a participant of the Hanseatic League. Through Hansaetic routes Kuldīga exports eels, lamprey, salmon and other fish caught in the Venta river, and trades crop, leather, linen and timber.

Year 1596

Kuldīga becomes one of the main residencies of the duke of Courland (Kurzeme). From 1596 to 1616 it is the capital of Courland.

Year 1610

Jacob Kettler (better known as Duke Jacob) is born in Kuldīga. Under his rule the Duchy of Courland was brought to its greatest peak in wealth and even engaged in colonization. Remembered as a fair ruler who also knew Latvian and was well-disposed towards the local peasants.

Year 1615

The old brick bridge across Venta river is being destroyed by flood and an unfortunate fire causes a great deal of damage to city’s wooden structures. A special fishing method called “tači” is being installed on the Ventas Rumba waterfall, catching up to 100 salmon fish per day that would later on be transported to Jelgava to be used in the court of Duke Jacob. The method was used until 1930’s, when it was banned.

Year 1750

The Kuldīga castle is being demolished and the materials form its ruins are used to build new houses for the local inhabitants.

Year 1874

The famous Kuldīga brick bridge is built. To this day it’s the third longest bridge in Europe!

Year 1878

Matchstick factory ‘‘Vulkāns’’ is being established. At this point, many small industrial enterprises are being established, and some of them would grow to employ more than 100 people. Kuldīga is producing goods of great diversity: needles, cigars, soap, vodka, liqueur and even mineral water.

Year 1980

Hansa City Union is being reestablished, called the Hanseatic League of New Time (also known as the New Hansa). Kuldīga is a regular participant of the Hansa Days of New Time – an annual international festival of its member cities – since 1994.

Year 2007

Kuldīga receives the international title “European Destination of Excellence”

Year 2008

The old town of Kuldīga receives the European Heritage Label as one of the most unique 17th - 18th century wooden architecture ensembles in Latvia.

Year 2009/2010

The old red brick bridge over Venta river is being renovated.

Year 2013

Kuldīga Restoration Centre receives the EU prize of cultural heritage – ‘’Europa Nostra’’.